ShakeandBake

Marcum LX7 or Vexilar FLX28

15 posts in this topic

Just looking opinions, use cases, success stories...for the two models....

Shake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering that vex is brand new this year, you'll likely not get a lot of long-term feedback. 2 of my buddies have the Marcum and love it. Word of caution, either you do none of the software updates or you do all of them.

never used either one, but researched them a lot.  They also have a LX 6 same as the LX 7 but smaller screen for $100 less then the 7.  I feel like there is more features on the LX 6 and 7 and you can see full view and the bottom 6 without messing up your full view.  I am a vexilar guy and it was about time they came out with something new.  However I feel like it dosn't have much different.  You can customize your color sceme, it automaticly sets your depth, it works better in the weeds, better separation and thats really it.  Bottom line is they are both top of the line.  As for interference Feathers I know the flx 28 has like 20 IR settings so they say its impossible to interfere.  I don't know about the LX 6 or 7's but I'm sure they fixed that issue.  I really would like a LX 6 or 7 because the customization you can do on it.   but either way they are both very good products.

Thanks for the feedback.... I had a showdown for a season really liked til it started the bottom bouncing. I like the LX7 too. Decisions, Decisions. Any more feedback would be great too.

~Shake

Stinger has the fl 28 but not sure he has used it yet. Im sure he will report how he likes it

the thing about the showdown is when it gets cold its slow and its not very clear.  with the LX models they are real time and very clear.  I would be torn on this choice to.  good luck.

If money was no object, I would jump all over the LX7

gledhill has the lx-7, saw it at fumj pretty sweet unit but didnt see it in action. although some of the other guys did

He said it was mint!

I bought the Showdown about 5 years ago.  Worked great, and I loved it for the first season.

They sent me a warranty notice saying an upgrade was available...I sent the head to them, and they sent me a new one within the week.

That's when the problems began.  Lots of interference from Nunnu's Marcum(that wasn't there before.  And the 'upgrade' went nuts around Lowrance freqs.)

That was before the company got bought by Marcum.

2 years ago, it quit reading anything at all, like it's stuck in demo mode. I need to call/mail them and find out if they'll do anything with this turd.

I thought it worked great, when it worked.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm torn..... Man I like the LX 7. But the price is killer. I had the Showdown Last year and it was giving me the the same issue Cheeser. Hmmmmm

I also have a Showdown which I only use for trips where less weight to carry is a plus. It's an older version without the upgrades. Seems to work okay by itself, but interference is a major problem with Marcum or Vex units. Have not tried it next to a Bird. When you turn up the rejection the sensitivity seems to decrease significantly. Also did not seem to do well over twenty five feet with soft bottom. Sure is light and quiet though. With my aging eyes the black and white fine display seems to get more difficult to distinguish also so do not use it much anymore.