Sign in to follow this  
RichSmith

Jack Jaw

RichSmith    116

There was some comments on Jack Jaw hook set/tip up systems, are they legal in Minnesota & surrounding states ?

Rex    91

Legal in Wisconsin and North Dakota not legal in Minnesota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davis23    85

Also they are unneeded.  With them you have to get to the rod very fast otherwise it will break or go down the hole.  I would recommend I fish Pro.  The best rod tip up I have ever used and will not use anything else.  With the jaw jacker it takes the funnest part out of it and thats setting the hook.

Rex    91

Weird I have never broke a rod on northerns, Browns, lakers, splake, perch, walleyes, whitebass, smallmouth, pout or whitefish.

How the hell would it go down a hole? The legs have almost a two foot wide gap designed to go around the hole...

Jaw jackers set the hook, less gut hooked fish, easier on the fish, I'll trade that for not being able to set the hook....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davis23    85

I have never gut hooked a fish on the i fish pro its all about using the right hooks a lot of people use these small plain hooks and its trouble.  My friend went threw three rods with them and I think it was a different model that almost went down the hole.  But I hardly ever gun hook any fish on a tip up or I fish pro.

Yes they are illegal in MN, the land of many silly game laws.

Trout and salmon will spit the bait before you have time to get to your tip up, fish pro, whatever.   That is where jaw jackers and similar set ups shine.   I have been on Superior and had 10+ flags in a day and all the fish spit the bait by the time we got to them even though they were set very close to us.  If you use them correct you should not lose a rod.

If they were legal in MN I would definitely use them on walleyes as well for reasons Rex mentioned. 

ammoman16    86

With all due respect Pete I'm glad it's not legal here. There are enough other advancements in equipment and technology that I feel if you can't set the hook you probably don't deserve the fish. It's called fishing, not catching. Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

I guess we all have our own definition of what fishing is.

If I'm not mistaken you will troll for Muskies.  When you get one trolling you do not set the hook.  The spring of the rod and the anchor of the boat do.  Kinda like a jaw jacker.  Is that fishing?  

ammoman16    86

I can probably count on one hand the number of hours I've spent trolling for muskies. That said, ift Jaw Jackers were legal I'd probably own and use them too. I'm just saying that giving people more opportunity to use equipment and technology to increase their catch rate will have a negative impact on the overall fish populations and you have to draw the line somewhere. I'm not necessarily 100% convinced that this is the right place to draw that line, but I'm glad that there is a line being drawn. If not why don't we just use trot lines and jug lines? Like I said before, this is just my opinion. No ill will towards anyone who uses or wants to use these.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk