Sign in to follow this  
Rush

Alumacraft Dominator Rebuild Project

The time had come for me to get a bigger boat, but I had a pretty tight budget. I wanted a modern 16' with console and I was shocked at how expensive they are! I looked around a lot and I couldn't find anything in my price range. 

I found a 1996 Alumacraft Dominator CS with a Yamaha 70 horse motor and a Spartan roller trailer at Grand Rapids Marine for $3500, so we went up & looked at it. The interior is really trashed. Seriously. Trashed. The motor is good and the hull is in nice shape. 

After the guy cut the winter shrink wrap off the boat and I checked it over, it was clear it'd been underwater. I mean, when there's a waterline in the footwell and piles of sand in the front dry storage bins...
I asked the salesman if that was the case & he said no. He even asked the other salesman, who backed his "story" up. There is no way these guys didn't know this boat spent a lot of time underwater.

Either way, we didn't pay nearly what they were asking. We bought it with the understanding it's going to be a total re-do.

Today, I went to Campbell's and bought some materials, but I don't think I'll be needing them for a while.

DSC01594.jpg

DSC01599.jpg

DSC01598.jpg

Trust me. It's WAAAAYYY worse than it looks in the photos.
This is after tearing stuff apart for a few hours. I can't believe how these things are built! Wow.

DSC01615.jpg

DSC01613.jpg

So, there you have it, today's progress. 

I hit a bit of a snag removing the live well because I can't get to 2 of the fasteners. They're below that cream colored piece of aluminum under the gunnel. I don't want to remove it from the outside because I'll need special rivets to put it back on. I'm going to avoid removing any rivets in the hull itself. I was pretty tired by the time I got to this point, so maybe tomorrow a solution will be clear.

The wiring for the console is also a mess, so I need to take all that out, too. No biggie, I have to remove it to take the flooring out anyway.

Good luck. I've done a couple and they can be a TON of work. Looks like it will be a pretty sweet boat when it's done though.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

cant wait to see it finished Rush and you will love that Yamaha , my 50 was real easy on gas and it pushed my 16 ft. Lund at 26mph.  keep the pictures coming.

Thanks. It's a doozie.

I knew the structure was aluminum, so I wasn't worried about that being rotted, at least. The floor is in 4 sections; 3 across and one in the front area, so I'm going to see if I remove the center one, maybe I can slip the sections that are under the live well and lockers out without removing them from the hull. I can just shop vac the front section out of there. lol!

I can't wait to see this progress!

GO GO GO!!

Is it done yet?

On 4/6/2016 at 0:17 PM, nunnu said:

Is it done yet?

HA! Almost. :^o

Today, I removed the console and weird front dry storage thing. That thing is gross, I'd never put anything in there. To get it out, I had to do some pretty major surgery to avoid drilling out 2 rivets in the hull. I'm going to change the configuration of that area so it's more useful. The way I had to remove the old dry bin thing turned out to be a good thing, because the pieces I cut will be used to support the additional bracing I need for the changed layout. I know that doesn't make much sense, but I'll show it as I go.

Removing the console wasn't very fun, either. I separated the steering assembly from the console so I could pull it out of there. I'm going to redo the dash and the fascia with more current items. The plastic burl wood just isn't doing it for me.

I have 2 more pieces of flooring to remove, but I think the really fussy parts are done. Most things are riveted together and drilling those out really sucks. I'll be replacing everything I can with stainless screws or nuts & bolts.

Here are some pics:

DSC01618-4-6.jpg

DSC01623-4-6.jpg

DSC01628-4-6.jpg

DSC01634-4-6.jpg

DSC01631-4-6.jpg

Just a little rotted.

DSC01637-4-6.jpg

I've got most of the floor out now, with just the one piece left. The center section over the gas tank is in fine shape, not funky at all, so I'm not sure whether I'm going to replace it or not. I might just re-carpet it & put it back in. The piece on the right side is also fine, but I have to remove it to re carpet. The piece on the left, that goes under the live well was dry, but came out in shards. I vacuumed most of it out.

I also removed all the chunks of foam that were under that front section and vacuumed up the remaining water left in the hull. It's drying out nicely, and I'll just use a couple cans of Great Stuff expanding foam to fill it back up unless I can figure out a way to make another storage cubby there; it's a good spot for one.

Here are a few pics.

DSC01645-4-7.jpg

DSC01641-4-7.jpg

Me & the fleet. Ha!

DSC01642-4-7.jpg

Today, I discovered that the flooring in the boat is 1/2" plywood, not 3/4 like I thought it was, so I had to exchange the sheets I bought. The top pieces, like up by the live well lid and casting deck are 3/4 & that's what I measured. That's kind of nice. It's less expensive, lighter for me to handle and easier to work with.

Tomorrow, I'll get that remaining piece of floor out and hopefully start getting my new pieces laid out for cutting. I need to order my carpet, too. I don't know of anywhere locally that sells it.

What is the gauge on the dash that is the 3rd to the right?  Depth?

what have you decided to do with the rail carpet?  I'm tellin ya, if you don't want to go through hell removing that, just buy one can if that fabric paint and try it.  That shit da bomb!

That gauge is a Yamaha tach.

I'm going to try your suggestion & paint the rail carpet. It already sucks, so it can't really get worse. If it doesn't turn out nicely, I'll just replace it. I think that's an icky spot for carpet anyway.

It's nice if you ever use that as a step.  It's grippy.

The paint I recently used for the motorhome was made by Rustoleum.  I believe it was called vinyl and fabric paint.  Menards has it on sale for $2.50 a can.

I'll have to take a look when I go to town next. Dude is supposed to pick up PuttPutt tomorrow & I might head in after that to pickup a few things. 

I got the last piece of floor out yesterday. It was an all day affair because I had to cut a bunch of foam out of a box to get to the screws that were holding the floor in. Once I finally got all the screws out, I wasn't strong enough to pull the piece of flooring out. Thankfully, Shovel had time to stop out in the garage on his way to work and pull it out of there for me. He sure made it look easy, but I couldn't budge it! What an ordeal.DSC01651-4-8.jpg

DSC01648-4-8.jpg

DSC01650-4-8.jpg

Next up is the removal of all the carpet on the sides. That should be a real treat. :blink:

And, PuttPutt left for his new home this morning. :(  I was sad.

Today, we removed the carpet from the sides. It came out pretty easily, except for the places the previous owner used huge gobs of Liquid Nails. That took hours to remove using Acetone, Mineral Spirits, and paint stripper. It sucked, but it's all out now and I'm ready to start re-building. I traced out the pieces of flooring that are intact and Shovel cut them. I'm going to have to use cardboard to make a template for the front floor that was too rotted to pull out in a sheet; I had to scoop it out with a dust pan & shopvac.

I misplaced my camera in the garage somewhere this evening, so here's the only pic I took with my iphone.

Carpet gone! Finally!

IMG_0867-4-10.jpg