Sign in to follow this  
cheeseman

2016 Rifle Deer Season

Knocked two more over this evening, and I passed on a point blank shot on a doe. Now I'm waiti on a buck, we got meat.

Back up at the 'Resort...Looking for my one baby buck in the morning.  Almost hit a NICE 6 pointer at 60 mph in the car.  He was standing in the middle of 169 near Bearhead about 6PM.  He was in ho hurry to cross the highway, even without bullshit crosswalk PED signs.

If not for being well after dark, on a state highway IN a state park...well, I had the .357 with me...

Friday dawn is the next ordeal in the stand.  Partly cloudy, bright gibbous moon, still fairly windy and 50 degrees in Ely.

This Ely deer roundup brought to you by Lottza Mozza pizza, Boxer beer, and DirecTV with the Wild in PIT.

Good luck!

Wow. Nothing during the week? I thought they'd be running hard right now. Good luck Saturday, I hope you (or whoever hasn't) catch one!

8 hours ago, Rush said:

@cheeseman, how has your hunt gone so far?

Poor.  But amusing.  You still can't swing a dead cat around here without clubbing a doe.  The weather has been so hot WINDY, and supermoon...

The trail cam has my one buck coming to the mineral lick every few days.  Late at night.  Doe pee wicks.  Grunts.  Rattles.  Sitting on a log in the swamp for an hour.  But it's turning to sleet in Ely, and we may get 7-14" of snow.

THAT ought to change his daily routines.  Got new Gumbo Mudders on the truck, the snowmobile is idling well, tweaked, and ready for field testing.  The trails don't open till Dec. 1, but I've got power lines & dirt road to break in my new piston while road huntin up a deer or grouse.:D/

The good news is the cabin is about 98% back to great.  While the weather sucks up here, I'm finishing off the window trims, etc.

---------------------Contender for deer camp tale of the year:

Last Sunday, I was watching the Wild game about 4 PM.  The wind was still at about 25 knots, so I abandoned the stand in the front yard for the day. At a commercial break, I got up to get another beer, and caught Big Mama Doe reaching her head into the open door of the cabin.  This is about 5 feet behind the chair I was in.

She was using a big long tongue to lap up crumbs off the kitchen counter and get to the loaf of bread another foot inside.

Christ.  Am I glad she wasn't armed, or I might be mounted on HER wall next month. I gave her a few slices of bread and a cup of peanuts.  Asked her again to bring her boyfriend around tomorrow so I could meet him.

Edited by cheeseman