Sign in to follow this  
Shovel

Amazon Fire TV-Good!

If you're looking to make you Smart Tv even smarter, the Amazon Fire TV is awesome! You get all the movie and TV apps like Netflix, Amazon, Crackle, etc. Of course you have to pay a monthly subscription for them but if you like commercial free TV, it's totally worth the $8 a month. We also downloaded another app on there called "Kodi" which is basically a jailbreak for the system. It allows us to watch any television show, station or movie from anywhere in the world for free. We have already found some of the most obscure stuff to watch! You can watch movies that are brand new or still in the theater too.

We are looking to dump Direct TV and go with Sony Vue through the Fire TV. Get all the same channels for 1/16 of the price of ripoff satellite and cable companies. 

We just got it a few days ago so I'll update as we learn more about it!

Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 5.03.40 PM.png

Edited by Shovel

We've had our amazon fire box for a couple years now and love it. If you have kiddo's the Netflix kids app is stellar!

We don't have kids, but I watch a lot of cartoons! lol! Probably not the kind for kids, though.

Will this gizmo get me FSN and the Wild/Twins games?  Those, local news, and about 8 of the DirecTV lineup is all we really watch. I've now got 3 dishes at 3 locations (home & James St. with internet) and the cabin.  But $100 a month IS a lot to pay for 15 channels. Even if you can get them most places you go.

Also, does it have to be a smart TV, or does it have RCA/coax outputs for TV?  I assume it needs internet.

You can get FSN and other channels however you need a subscription to Sony Vue. The Fire TV is movies and television in an archived state. Such as Netflix. You also need a decent internet connection of at least 10mb. You need HDMI to HDMI to connect it. 

I really want to drop DTV, but I watched a PPV UFC fight on Fire and it was a bad picture. However, it was someone's feed, I believe. For archived stuff, it's awesome.

I hate the dish and cable services!   Absolutely can't stand them! I won't get into all the reasons why.  But, I'm sure many if you have experienced their monopoly on the market and horseshit service.  I'm soooooo glad there are other services in this tech world of ours that beginning to show light at the end of the TV tunnel.

I too have dumped DirecTV and exclusively run Hulu, Amazon, Vudu, Netflix  and now thanks to Shovels tutorial last weekend,  I now am running the Sony vue.

GO WILD!!!!

Well after dumping Direct TV a few months ago, things have been much better in the television department! We got a regular digital antenna for local stations and signed up with Sony Vue. If we want to watch a movie, Kodi provides everything we ever wanna see!

I chose the $40 package of Vue because of FS North and the NFL stations. I get all the same channels as i did with Direct TV except I don't have to pay $98 a month for it! If you have a decent internet connection, this system works great...at 1/3 the price!

Direct TV can suck it!

• Like 1

I too chose the $40 package for the same reason.  Although, I have been able to watch the WILD games live on KODI.  I might go free all the way next month baby!!