Sign in to follow this  
cpinkert

Auger buy - can't decide

I've always been a strikemaster guy, not sure why. Always end up having motor issues and I'm not great at motor work. I like the lazer blades...until I have to buy replacements.  

Anyway, I'm in the market for a new auger. These days I'm getting out a lot less than before, but when I go I still usually drill between 10 and 60 holes depending what and where I'm fishing. 

I was was thinking nils, but mainly because of the tanaka power head and the warranty it had. Now that's not an option apparently.   So, I'm looking for recommendations and I'm open to anything from gas to propane to electric to drill. I'm most concerned about reliability and cost v. life of motor.  

For some reason I'm leaning towards a Jiffy propane right now, but I want to hear from you all on what you have/had and your experiences before pulling the trigger. 

35 minutes ago, cpinkert said:

I've always been a strikemaster guy, not sure why. Always end up having motor issues and I'm not great at motor work. I like the lazer blades...until I have to buy replacements.  

Anyway, I'm in the market for a new auger. These days I'm getting out a lot less than before, but when I go I still usually drill between 10 and 60 holes depending what and where I'm fishing. 

I was was thinking nils, but mainly because of the tanaka power head and the warranty it had. Now that's not an option apparently.   So, I'm looking for recommendations and I'm open to anything from gas to propane to electric to drill. I'm most concerned about reliability and cost v. life of motor.  

For some reason I'm leaning towards a Jiffy propane right now, but I want to hear from you all on what you have/had and your experiences before pulling the trigger. 

Ammoman and Norshor both have a jiffy pro 4 propane auger in 8", they cut really well and very quick. The one pull start on propane is nice. Keep an extra 1 pounder tank with you in your ice house in case it gets really cold out and you need to swap to a warm tank. Thats not really a common issue tho, we've used theirs in some really cold weather after it sat outside for a few hours. My only gripe is that they are heavy, and you have to store them carefully so they don't leak oil out all over your sled.

I've never liked strikemaster, I had a couple different augers and they all were hit and miss on reliability. I've used Davis23's strikemaster 10" (not sure which model, i'm sure he'll chime in) and it kicks ass! I'd prefer an 8" for most of my fishing, but we use his a lot when running tip ups for big pike which helps.

I've got an eskimo mako 43cc 8" cut and and extremely happy with it. It always starts easily and cuts great, cuts fast. Like you, sometimes I drill upwards of 50 holes in a day depending on the lake and I went all season last year on two tanks. 

If I were to do it over again, I would probably get the mako 43cc again. The weight:performance:cost ratio just makes sense. I got mine on sale at L&M for under $200 which was a no-brainer. The other auger I was considering was the eskimo propane auger but saw the sale price of the mako and was sold. Feathers has an older mako model that is still running strong. Walso has the same as mine and again, works great. Definitely replace the bolt that holds the auger onto the power head, both mine and waldo's machines threw that bolt while drilling holes and almost lost the augers down the hole. A cheap stainless bolt and nut with a little loctite and we were good to go.

Tight Lines!

-Cotner

The Eskimo has been good to me over the years.  I have the Mako 43 cc. I think mine is about 10 years old and I haven't had an issue with it...knock on wood.  Drain the gas out of the tank at the end of the season and pull it over several times to get all the gas out of the carbs and you shouldn't have issues with it.  If I was in the market I would be looking at another one of those or an Eskimo or Jiffy propane.  The propane's do have some drawbacks as Cotner mentioned.  Chadwick has had issues with his Jiffy Propane but everyone else I know who owns them have been happy.   My buddy picked up an Eskimo propane last year and it was flawless all last season. 

Not to mention that Eskimo has a 5 year warranty, and new blades are only about $30. I'm on season three and have no plans to sharpen or replace this season.

Like Cotner said, I've been nothing but pleased with my Mako.  Is it the lightest or the fastest auger on the ice?  Absolutely not, but it has been lights out in terms of reliability.  The only thing I've had to replace on it was an ignition coil that went bad at the end of this past season, but if that is all after 5 hard years of use, I'll take it.  The only way I would be going with something other than the Mako is if I had a wheelhouse (which hopefully is in the cards this coming spring), in which I'd be buying either the eskimo propane or an ion, but the Mako will still be in the garage for running the portable!

Edit:  Jdubs54 bought the Eskimo Z51 prior to this past season, and along with being very reliable last season, drills holes like a mo-fo!

Edited by waldo102

I got my new bottom of the line Eskimo from Marine General cheap, in a box.  It's been flawless since I put gas in it.

Even after Nunnu borrowed it a few times.  So you KNOW it's tough.

Made in Cumberland, WI, USA.:clap:

Dont get the 33cc eskimo stingray if you continue to plan on punching 50+ holes a day...great for the guy who does 8-12 holes but ive heard and read that they are underpowered and hit the shitter quick if you fish hard and often

I ran laser with m18fuel drill last 5 or so years and been very happy with it. 

Added a K drill and a dewalt this year.

Have a 3 hp solo that cy "tuned up" about 8 years ago with a synthetic bit that absolutely rips. It pretty much gets fired up in the fall and stays hung all winter in the garage now. 

Had an ion about 6 years ago and that doesn't do anything at all now except collect dust. Broke the solo at a tournament and did the ion. Worst decision I could have ever made. 

I like the drills for the reason of I come home from fishing, throw the electronics on the chargers and do the same with the batteries. I haven't went through more than 3 batteries in a day yet and most days I don't even go through one. 

12 hours ago, cpinkert said:

Sounds like the Eskimo Mako is worth a shot at the price.  I'm gonna go look tomorrow at MG. 

You wont be disappointed. Great all around auger that would fit the needs of just about any ice angler who doesn't want to spend $400 on an auger.

Of course, I will recommend the Nils Arctic Trekker with a cordless drill because it's SO versatile. It will have zero trouble keeping up with what you do. Of course, power and duration always come down to which drill you choose, but the auger/drill combo is fantastic. With the Nils, it comes with a hand crank, too, so if something happens (batteries aren't charged, etc) you can still jam through the ice and fish.

http://www.marinegeneral.com/productdetails.asp?productid=1645399&directoryid=11517&parentid=10949

My uncle and his buddy bought the Arctic Trekkers. If I had a decent drill I would seriously consider it. Still going to consider it but gotta factor in the drill cost too. 

For sure. I might just have to get mine going and hold off on purchasing until I can see some of these in action on the ice. I see benefits to all of them.