Sign in to follow this  
chadwick

Elk hunt 16"

Just returned from our now annual elk hunt. We have been hunting the west elk wilderness near gunnison Colorado using west elk wilderness outfitters for the last few years. They offer very reasonable guided and drop camp trips for elk and mule deer. It's great because it's a full wilderness experience, no motors, atvs, etc. Just wall camps and horses/mules. The guy that runs it does an exceptional job and I highly recommend them. They even have a dog that is trained to retrieve  you beer from the cooler. 

I shot a 4x5, as did my dad and our friends shot a nice 5x6 and 6x6. 

I shot mine in the last minutes of the last day of the last season. 285 yards. 

If you are looking to do an elk trip I would highly suggest using them for either their fully guided trips or their drop camps.I can't say enough excellent things about the owner and his crew. They truly do an exceptional job and are some of the hardest working people I have ever met. 

i just figured I couldn't post our pictures and not give the guys who make it possible a big thanks.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 11/22/2016 at 8:06 AM, chadwick said:

They even have a dog that is trained to retrieve  you beer from the cooler. 

Now THAT is worth a trip from ANYwhere.

Great report, Chadwick.  Reading most of your stuff is like subscribing to Field & Stream without the ads....and the cost.:clap:

And possibly better pics.

1 hour ago, cpinkert said:

Are you guys doing the guided or drop camp?  This is a dream of mine

We have done both but the last three years we have gone guided. Im sure we would be fine doing the drop camp, however the use of horses is huge and allows you to hunt areas you would be unable to hunt otherwise.this is a huge perk on years where the migration hasn't started and you need to ride 2 hours to productive areas up high in the mountains.