Sign in to follow this  
Rush

Faux Carriage Garage Doors

So, our garage doors were in SAD shape. The bottom panel of both doors had like a 2-3' hole in the outer skin, exposing the insulation. It was caused by years of water dripping out of the gutters, onto the cement & splashing the doors (gutter is now fixed). I wish I had "before" pics; they were really awful! New doors, in our "custom size" are about $1,000 which would absolutely murder our summer home improvement budget, so I decided to put a fascia on the doors instead. 

We bought a few 4'x8'x1/8" sheets of melamine, which I think is the material the doors are made of anyway. I had Shovel rip them down to 2'x8' pieces, then I painted them. Once the paint was dry, I liquid nailed them over the garage door panels, then used my air nailer to secure them. It looked WAAAAYY better, but I thought they still needed something.

I looked at a lot of photos online and love the carriage style doors, but they're a fortune, so I thought I'd just fake it! I drew, digitized and cut the hinges & handles out of vinyl, then hand painted the windows on. They look amazing! It changed the look of the whole building! I also replaced a bunch of the brick moulding around the garage doors and put new moulding around the man-door because there wasn't any & it looked like crap.

Now, we can put some of that budget toward getting our driveway re-leveled & new gravel put in. Yay!

Pieces cut & painted
door%201.jpg

Pieces in place
door2.jpg

Trusty tools!
door3.jpg

A "hinge"
door4.jpg

"Hinges" in place and my makeshift plumb bob to mark the center line
door5.jpg

Masking off the "windows"
door7.jpg

Windows painted
door8.jpg

A close up of one of the doors
Door%20After.jpg

And, the overall look
door10.jpg

door9.jpg

door-Pint.png

I'm so happy with the result and it only cost about $50! 

Thanks!

I airbrushed a little detail work today. From the driveway, you'd swear everything was real.

IMG_0307.JPG

IMG_0308.JPG

I bet there are a bunch of people who would like that on there garage doors ! I see Cha-Ching !

4 hours ago, cpinkert said:

That's awesome!

Thanks! It is such a huge improvement! It really changed the whole look of our property. Even I was surprised at the impact it has!

4 hours ago, RichSmith said:

I bet there are a bunch of people who would like that on there garage doors ! I see Cha-Ching !

I'm kinda kicking some ideas around. :(Y):